The collision of global markets and social mood

Monday, May 9, 2011

2 Down, 7 To Go

I probably should sleep on it before I comment, but I had the first 2 of my 9 mercury fillings out today, and I think I'm already feeling a slight difference.

This is tough to explain, but I'd describe it as a subtle increase in the lightness of being. It's definitely not physical, it's more emotional. It's as if it's easier to feel optimism suddenly.

This might sound like a placebo effect, but there may be some truth to it. If it is in fact true that I had the most negatively charged filling removed today (one of them was -25), it stands to reason that I now have 25% less stress on my body because it suddenly has 25% less work to do to counteract the negative charge.

Just something I was thinking about on the way home this evening blasting tunes and thinking about the future.

Two of my great loves which have slowly faded away over the past few years are music and photography. But for some reason that's all I could think about as soon as I left the dentist's office down in San Antonio today.

I was starved too, so I set out to find the Mexican restaurant I wanted to try. On the way there, I passed this music shop and practically skidded to a stop in their parking lot.


I loved this place. Inside there was a small sign. NO SINGING. NO SUBLIME. Play the guitars all you want, but don't sing, and don't play any Sublime tunes either or you'll be asked to leave. Hilarious.

I was ogling a vintage Ampeg stack like Keith Richards used to use. But then I realized I don't need anything. I've got a 1971 Fender Telecaster and a mint condition pre-CBS Fender Deluxe Reverb amplifier just sitting in a closet. I just need to start playing again. So I will.

The Mexican place had just closed for the day when I arrived. It's only a breakfast and lunch place. So I headed into downtown San Antonio and figured I'd visit the Riverwalk and have a stroll.

Suffice it to say that I enjoyed seeing the downtown area, and liked the gritty feeling of some of the areas that gave it a distinct Old Texas city feel, and the Riverwalk looked fun too, but what I really needed was food. And all I was seeing were touristy places and fern bars. It was also 98 degrees outside -- HOT.

I tried to locate a couple other fallback restaurants that I'd researched on Yelp, but they looked like duds. I started to get really frustrated and was ready to hit the road back to Austin. Then, as so often happens, I suddenly saw what looked like to be a cool, funky looking street with more historic and authentic buildings. I veered onto it not knowing what I'd find . . . Bam, there stood Tito's. I knew I'd found dinner.


I loved it from the moment I stepped inside. A woman and her daughter were cooking in the kitchen. Her son was waiting tables. It was happy hour. Several tables of locals were hanging out and having a good time. Outside the street was quiet and had plenty of parking yet I was only 2 minutes from downtown San Antonio. Bizarre.

I was feeling so great that I threw out the rigid diet that I've put myself on. For some reason, I ordered a spicy michelda, which is basically a beer in a Bloody Mary without tomato juice. Crazy. I didn't hesitate to munch away at the gall bladder clogging chips, either. The salsa looked to good to pass up. And it was.



I then had the best Enchiladas Mole I've ever had. Finally I could taste the chocolate in the mole sauce. They did a great job with it. So next time I'm in town I'll hit this place first, relax, eat well, THEN set out to enjoy the Riverwalk.

Around the corner was a funky little tea house called Mad Hatter. There I had a white tea before hitting the road. The cast iron tea pot felt like it was 10 lbs.



I headed home up route 35 back to Austin and the "emotional lightness" was still there. The desire to write & play music again was still there. The desire to shoot photography again was still there. I cranked up the tunes and sang and felt really happy and lucky and thankful.

When I got back to Austin, I drove down South Congress and saw all the people outside enjoying the evening and I took a walk and explored. I found The Continental Club which reminded me a lot of CBGB's in New York. That was by far my favorite place to see music when I lived there. This place felt incredibly familiar.


I went inside and took a look. Immediately you could tell it was the real deal, a great venue to see a live band: small, intimate, and a cool vibe. I'll definitely be back some night. Another thing I used to love to do but haven't done for a long time because I just couldn't take the headaches anymore -- who needs loud music when it feels like your head is in a vice?

2 down and 7 to go. Something tells me those headaches might soon be a thing of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment