The collision of global markets and social mood

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Why Am I Here?

Why have I driven halfway across the country? Why am I here in Texas?

It's not just another road trip. And it's not anything I've ever spoken about or alluded to in these posts.

It's for me. I did it for my health.

My apologies if you read this blog soley for trading commentary. But if you believe as I do that trading demands peak performance, then what follows here is directly related to my trading.

I also feel the need to address it openly and to share it, too. Already some close friends of mine have expressed interest in it, and want to know more because they are concerned about it themselves.

I do not intend to post as Marz Bonfire for the rest of my days, either. So consider this modest increase in transparency a first step in stepping from behind the veil of anonymity.

Here goes.

First, a question:

What is considered by the Environmental Protection Agency to be 5,000 times more neurotoxic than lead and yet is still sanctioned, promoted, and vigorously defended by one of the most respected professional associations in America?

Hint: the highly respected professional association is the American Dental Association.

The answer: mercury.

The ADA still feels mercury has a place in my mouth and yours.

"Dental amalgam is considered a safe, affordable and durable material that has been used to restore the teeth of more than 100 million Americans. It contains a mixture of metals such as silver, copper and tin, in addition to mercury, which binds these components into a hard, stable and safe substance. Dental amalgam has been studied and reviewed extensively, and has established a record of safety and effectiveness."

Every word here is true. They've used a copywriting technique known as wormwording to make it sound like mercury is a small ingredient, but what they fail to mention is that an amalgam is 50% mercury.

It is considered to be safe, affordable, and durable. But these terms are relative. Safe can mean that it hasn't exploded in anyone's mouth. Effectiveness can refer to its ability to cover a cavity. Extensive study and review can be paid for.

Apparently the EPA doesn't have any use for the ADA's position, either.

The EPA says the maximum allowable amount of mercury to be absorbed into the human body is less than 0.1 mcg per kilogram of body weight per day.

Someone with 8 amalgams could release 120 mcg into their saliva per day.

I have 9.

With as few as 4 amalgam fillings present in their mouth, the average person's saliva is so high in mercury they cannot legally spit into the toilet. Their saliva exceeds the EPA maximum legal municipal discharge standard for mercury.

That makes me a Federal criminal every time I use a rest room.

Not for long.

I've come to Texas to have my fillings removed. Amazingly there are more dentists here to choose from that specialize in proper amalgam removal than any other place in the country.

Apparently when Texans say DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS they really mean it. I like that. Where I grew up the saying is LIVE FREE OR DIE. I feel like we understand each other.

It's not my intention to debate against the ADA here. That would be like trying to debate the Fed, something which I spend far too much energy doing. I'd rather put my precious energy where it's useful.

All I know is I haven't felt 100% for years. I've tried just about everything, except this. Meanwhile the mercury has been in my system every hour of every day, and because its effects are cumulative, perhaps that's why I finally feel the need to act.

One of the most precious gifts we have besides our health is our intuition. I received several clues over the past few years that have gotten me to this point. I'll share them in another post very soon.

Life goes on, and I'm not complaining. I'm fortunate to make this journey an adventure too. It's great to be here anyway.

But as much as I'd love to be out drinking beer and having fun with all the fine Austin ladies (I'm really developing a thing for women wearing short dresses and cowboy boots), I've got to begin detoxifying so that I won't be overwhelmed by the mercury as it's being removed. Although I'm only having 2 fillings removed every 10 days, I want to support my system as much as I can.

Today was my last cigar of the season. Those who know me well know that I love to smoke cigars in the spring time. Today was a delicious La Gloria Cubana Serie R.

No comments:

Post a Comment