The collision of global markets and social mood

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

One More Pho The Road

After the GPS scored 3 complete misses in Memphis, I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when it yielded a couple big scores when I really needed them.

The first was lunch just outside of Roanoke, VA. I did not want another fast food chain experience. I wanted something local but very quick. I noticed Jones Hot Dogs on the GPS list. I never would have found it otherwise; it was a bunch of lefts and rights off the interstate, but still close enough.

While I was trying to peek in the windows before going inside (I was trying to find out if the dogs were streamed or not), I got busted by one of the waitresses who assured me they were not -- "no way, you crazy?" They were grilled. I was in.

Sadly, I was in so fast I left the camera in the car, but they were great dogs, cheap and fast. I had one "house style" with chili and onions, and one with sauerkraut, mustard, and relish.


I met some locals at the counter who told me I found the local sweet spot. And I noted that Miss Roanoke Valley thought so, too. Her autographed picture was near the cash register. Evidently she kept her svelte figure in shape with her favorite dogs from Jones'. She'd be a cheap date. Mine was only $3.85.

Then I paid $3.189 for unleaded -- the lowest of the trip.

Much later on, this time in Allentown, PA, I was wondering what to get for dinner. In that Allentown seemed like a reasonably big place, I searched for Asian spots again just like in Arkansas. Bingo -- and it was called Pho #1, no less!

The GPS really came through on this one. The route that it took me on the way to Pho #1 was amazing. It must have taken me on a shortcut at one point, because I ventured through a random neighborhood and felt like I was literally crossing people's driveways. Left, right, left, left, right, right, etc. 10 minutes later I was sitting in the parking lot, stunned. It worked. Thank god, too. It was great.


I really needed it. It was another run and gun day. I drove until just before midnight, getting to New Haven, CT, which set me up the next day for a visit to the birthplace of the burger -- Louis' Lunch. A classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment