The collision of global markets and social mood

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mercury Removal Update

Yesterday I had another tranche (haha) of mercury fillings removed. I feel much better this morning than I did the last time, by a long shot. This has brightened my mood and lifted my spirits considerably. I really didn't know what to expect this time after feeling so poorly after the last appointment.

I asked for, and received, a nasal canula that isolated my breathing from the room. I was also really careful not to swallow anything in my mouth, even if it was "just" saliva. Right afterward, I rinsed out my mouth thoroughly several times with lots of water. I think these small steps made a big difference.

Oh, and it probably didn't hurt that I visited Smitty's Market on the way home. Paradoxically, I've learned it's better to eat a heavy protein meal after mercury exposure. So why not some of the best barbecue in Texas?

Smitty's is in Lockhart, a small town 25 miles Southeast of Austin that is proclaimed by the Texas Legislature as the Barbecue Capital Of Texas.

If the brisket at Smitty's was any indication, I'll be making a few more stops here on my trips from San Antonio. It was so good it made my head spin.

What a day to leave my camera behind. I was so certain that I'd head into downtown San Antonio again for another meal at Tito's that I didn't bring it along. Big mistake.

It was 101° outside when I was finished at the dentist. The entire right side of my face was numb from novocaine. I just wasn't in the mood to head in town and fight traffic.

I've heard about Lockhart from several different sources, most recently the night before, so when I saw the road sign on the highway yesterday, I knew I had to check it out.

These are pictures that I found on the web. When I go back I'll take some of my own. And maybe I'll check out some of the other joints too.

At Smitty's, you pick up your barbecue in the back where the pits are smoking away. Inside it was probably 115°. I don't know how they stand it. They cut the meat to order right in front of you. It's dry rub style, so there's no sauce.

Yes, I'm a sauce guy, but it didn't matter. The flavor was incredible, and the meat makes a big difference too, I'm sure. It's all raised locally. It's fresh and not messed with like most feedlot beef and pork. It's the real thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment