The collision of global markets and social mood

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Less Mercury, More Barbecue

Today I had another session at the dentist down in San Antonio to have the third round of mercury fillings removed and replaced with shiny white ceramic. So far, so good.

It was yet another 100° Texas stunner too, and the sunlight was like white light. But it was not a great day for me in the market or in the world of barbecue, either. Just so-so.

I was looking for a bounce in the S&P, but the morning action exceeded my expectation. Since I was then a bit unsure and wouldn't be around for the entire session, I chose to leg out of both sides of the SPXU/SPY call hedge I'd put on. I didn't want to have my mind on the market when I was splayed out in the cushy dentist chair.

At the open I dumped the hedge, then waited until about 10am EST and got short. It ended up as only a quick scalp -- the market was strong. I lost a few shekels on the hedge, and made a few back on the short. Very unsatisfying, but no big loss either.

On the way home from the dentist, with my face still half frozen from anesthetic, I stopped off in Lockhart again, this time to try Black's Barbecue, the oldest barbecue restaurant in Texas continuously owned by the same family. President Lyndon Johnson selected Black's Barbecue to represent Texas barbecue at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. He would even have it flown in to the White House when the urge for brisket struck.

Here's the scoop. I'm not a food critic, and I really hate to criticize food. I think we are very fortunate to be able to eat whatever and whenever we choose. I'm not going to write some long-winded review about the ups and downs about the experience except to say it left me flat.

I ordered brisket, pork ribs, and sausage. With the exception of the sausage, I found it dried out and chewy. It tasted just fine. But it was just not to my liking. Sorry Black's, no offense intended. There were some other diners there who were loving it just fine, so maybe it's a style thing. I just like moist, tender, juicy barbecue.

Here are the pics anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment